- Why Is Clean Flooring Important for Kids?
- Cleaning Air Conditioners
- How to Wash Dishes Right for Maximum Health
- Breathe Easy with Better Indoor Air Quality
- 3 Best Ways to Kick Off Spring Cleaning Tasks
- A Weekend Lost: No Professional Carpet Cleaner
- The Dreaded Litter Box
- Has Your Microwave Gotten Gross?
- Electricity & Appliance Safety
- Solar Bottom – Is It Here Yet?
As technology takes over our lives, robot vacuums are appearing in more and more homes. They go around your home and handle things without you having to bend, crawl, or move items. How can this impact your floor cleaning?
These vacuums allow you to have your floors cleaned on a regular, consistent schedule. While you may have previously vacuumed your home on a weekly or more infrequent basis, you can now have your floors cleaned daily, perhaps while you sleep. To make this system work, you will now have to empty and maintenance the robot vacuum cleaner every day or few days.
Hard to Reach Spots
Beyond the more consistent schedule, these vacuums are generally smaller and able to go into hard to reach spots. Think about the last time you vacuumed, did you actually lift your couch to clean underneath it?
Some of these robot vacuums have a mode for handling a spill or mess in one area. This allows the vacuum to focus on that section of the home and clean it up, although not all the robot cleaners come with this setting.
While not all robot vacuums have it, a few of them have an option for it to mop or “wet clean” certain types of floors too. This is a nice feature but the technology is still evolving, and they have extremely limited scrubbing power. This is not at a level that should be used as a regular replacement to mopping just yet.
Some of these vacuums are now wifi-connected, so you can trigger it through an app on your phone or computer. Things are still a little behind though, as with the mop feature, much this technology is still evolving. The battery can be limited, the bin size maybe too small to handle more than one cleaning worth of dirt, or the device may fall down stairs, get stuck on area rugs, or have trouble finding its way back to the charging station.
Vacuum-Proof the Home
Having these devices doesn’t mean you can leave it and forget it. You need to clean up the surrounding areas as small toys, socks, or other small items could get stuck in it and break it.
In fact, this can be a big issue with pets, especially if they are not toilet trained. Recently, one of our clients had severe damage to the device and their flooring when the robot vacuum spread a puppy’s accident all over their home. We were able to completely clean and sanitize their flooring but the vacuum had tremendous damage.
Doesn’t Fully Replace Vacuuming
While this helps keep the house somewhat cleaner, these devices are not as powerful or effective as traditional vacuums. It is recommended that you still vacuum regularly and use a robotic vacuum for home maintenance in between more familiar methods of floor cleaning. A recent robot vacuum review found that the upright traditional vacuum is still far more effective that the best bots.
While robot vacuums promise to be one of the next wave of useful technologies, we still have a long ways to go. Regular vacuuming and even professional carpet, hardwood, or area rug cleaning are still essential. Please contact us with any questions or if you’d like to schedule your professional cleaning today.
The popularity of thick, luxurious, ultra soft carpet has soared in recent years. Maybe you recently bought a home with extra soft carpet and want to prepare yourself for its care and maintenance. Maybe you just installed or already have ultra-soft carpet and want to know more about it.
Here are 3 essential things you need to know about ultra soft carpet.
1) It Can Hold Onto Dust And Allergens
Everyone’s home has dust and debris that gather on the floor. This can include food crumbs, pet dander, hairs, skin flakes, dust and dirt tracked in from outside. Most carpets have some amount of dust mites in them, although vacuuming can reduce their numbers. Left too long, some of that debris can attract ants and other small insects, like carpet beetles.
Any carpet can hide and hold onto dust and other allergens. However, ultra soft carpet has an even greater tendency for this. The thick and plentiful carpet fibers may feel lovely, but they come with the drawback of being more textured and harder to clean. If you are prone to allergies, extra soft carpet would need frequent, thorough cleaning in your home.
2) It Can Be Harder To Clean at Home
Most of us know what to do when our carpet needs cleaning – simply get to work vacuuming the floor. Unfortunately, many vacuums are not well-equipped to deal with the thickness of plush ultra soft carpet.
Due to the nature of extra plush carpeting, a vacuum may only get the surface clean without reaching deep into the carpet fibers, or even just past the surface, because the fibers of the carpet don’t separate easily. Ultra soft carpet has deep, textured and dense fibers that can cause it to hold onto dirt and debris. Also, plush carpets aren’t built on mesh like traditional carpets, they’re sealed underneath, so the vacuum can’t suck air through the carpet from it’s foundation. No dry vacuum will be able to deep clean your carpet. Your vacuuming attempts can feel somewhat futile, leaving much of the dust, debris and dirt behind.
If you buy a new, specialized ultra-soft carpet vacuum, you’ll have an easier time vacuuming at home, but you’ll still need a regular professional cleaning to remove the dust and dirt that ultra soft carpets retain even after vacuuming. Professional carpet cleaning services have proper equipment to clean ultra dense carpets.
3) It May Need To Be Replaced More Often
Given the fact that ultra soft carpet is harder to clean, it stains more frequently, because spills can’t be lifter quickly and easily. It is also harder to remove stains once they’ve set in ultra soft carpet. You may need the help of a professional carpet cleaning company to remove both surface stains as well as the dirt and dust that is trapped under the surface. Even then, your carpet may become unsightly and worn, so that you need to replace it more quickly than other carpet options.
When selecting carpet options or discerning your carpet maintenance regimen, be sure to consult with carpeting and flooring professionals. These specialists can advise you on the best flooring to meet your needs, and how to take care of it. Ultra soft carpet can be an outstanding flooring choice, but it’s important to take proper care of it to keep your home low-allergen, clean looking, and fresh smelling. Contact your local professional carpet cleaning company for help with ultra-soft carpets.
Pet-safe cleaning has become a higher concern, with pets increasingly playing a more important role in our lives and our homes. A recent survey conducted by Harris Poll found that 33% of young home buyers aged 18-35 were motivated to buy their first home in order to have a better space or a yard for their dog. In comparison, marriage was the motivation for 25% of home buyers that age, while having a child was motivation for only 19%. A 2016 report also found that 44% of Americans own dogs (78 million dogs in homes total) and 35% own cats (that’s 85.8 million cats).
Cleaning Your Home With A Pet
Pet owners are always looking for new and better ways for their homes to support their pets. Pets are spending more time indoors and have a greater impact on our homes. And our homes have a significant impact on them, too. A part of this is finding home cleaning solutions that create a safe and healthy environment for both humans and their pets. The cleaning industry is adapting and changing to provide solutions that are pet-safe, while also dealing with the sometimes difficult cleaning problems pets can cause. Here we look at the different ways we can adapt our cleaning to protect our pets and address the unique cleaning challenges pets create.
How Pets Can Affect Your Home
It’s no secret that pets can affect the cleanliness and hygiene of our homes. Even well-trained pets have accidents, and their indoor/outdoor life means that they’re another source of dust and pathogens being dragged into the home.
Our furry friends affect the cleanliness of our homes in a range of ways including –
- Tracking dirt, mud, and pathogens into the home, which can accumulate in carpets, area rugs, hardwood floor cracks and tile grout. This creates a dirty and less hygienic environment.
- Pets, particularly cats, can bring dead rodents and birds into the home, which can be a health concern.
- Carpets, upholstery and other soft furnishings can adopt pet odors when pets use them often.
- Pets may urinate, defecate, leave hairballs, or vomit on carpet, hardwood and soft furnishings, leaving stains or damage. Odors from liquid spills can remain in carpets, rugs, and furnishings for a long time as they seep deep into carpet padding and upholstery stuffing.
- Dogs and cats can drop fur and skin cells on floors and furniture, which is known as pet dander. This can be an allergen, causing allergic reactions and triggering asthma. It can also create odors and just look bad.
- Pet dander is also a site for dust mites, another allergen that can trigger allergies and asthma.
How Pets Have Impacted the Cleaning Industry
We know pets have influenced our homes and contributed to cleaning issues. That’s why clear trends toward pet-safe cleaning dealing with these hygiene dilemmas have emerged. These trends include –
- Installation of Hard Surface Floors – Many homes have resorted to installing hard surface flooring such as tile, hardwood floors, and vinyl, laminate or engineered wood to avoid absorbent surfaces. Hard surfaces are easier to clean and don’t absorb or ‘catch’ pet accidents or hair. Odors and stains from pets are much less likely to impact hard floors.
- Area Rugs and Their Unique Cleaning Needs – Of course, as homeowners install hard floors, use of area rugs also increases to improve comfort underfoot and improve the warmth and atmosphere of a space. But guess what? Pets prefer these soft, warm and comfortable rugs as well. Area rugs may then become the ‘preferred site’ for pet accidents, as well as the place pets prefer to sit and relax. Unlike the hard floors they sit on top of, area rugs can accrue stains, dirt, and odors quickly, which are often difficult to remove. Area rugs made of fine fibers and delicate designs may need to be sent out for professional cleaning so that they are gently cleaned, while preserving their structure.
- Carpet Odor and Stain Removal – When pets use carpeted floors, these floors need deep professional carpet cleaning and professional stain removal more regularly. Carpets get stains and odors much more quickly and hold them for longer than other floor types. Liquid spills and accidents can soak deep into carpet padding, which makes odors difficult to reach and fully remove. Specialized, professional carpet odor removal services are increasingly popular, aimed at achieving the difficult goal of fully extracting deep-seated odors from carpet.
- Professional Upholstery Cleaning and Odor Removal – Carpets aren’t the only surface in the home that is affected by pet stains and odors. If pets utilize upholstery and furnishing in the home, it’s likely that these furnishings will also be subject to pet hair, urine, saliva, feces, and dander as well. Professional upholstery cleaning and deep odor removal is a service that’s becoming increasingly popular and important for pet owners as they strive to keep their home clean and hygienic.
The Impacts of Home Cleaning on Pets
For homeowners with pets, keeping the home clean at all costs isn’t the only consideration. Where pets are living in an environment, they are also going to be affected, so it’s important to consider the impact of cleaning on pets.
- Some cleaning products can be extremely dangerous and poisonous to pets. Just like children, they don’t know or understand the difference between what is ‘safe’ and ‘dangerous’ so cleaning products should be kept away from where pets can access them.
- Because animals are naturally closer to the ground, they will be more heavily impacted by the cleaning products and processes that happen to your floor. Even just casual exposure to these chemicals through the environment in your home can negatively impact their health.
- Pets ingest chemicals from cleaning products when the chemicals rub off onto the pet’s fur or feet. When the pet licks and cleans themselves, they ingest these chemicals.
- The worst culprits for pet poisoning are bleach, laundry detergent, and phenol-based disinfectants. Some carpet cleaning agents are known to be irritating or unsafe for pets.
- There is an upside: Pet-safe cleaning products that are known to be safe for both pets and children are available and help to keep homes beautifully clean, while furry friends are kept healthy.
How The Cleaning Industry Is Innovating
The cleaning industry is responding to the need to make home cleaning pet-friendly and pet-safe. Professional carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning companies are now more aware of the impact of cleaning solutions on pets, as well as cleaning techniques that help to produce a better result for your home, while also keeping your pets healthy. You will now find a wide variety of innovations available that make professional and home cleaning safer for our animals.
Pet-Friendly Cleaning Products
One of the most significant developments of the cleaning industry in relation to pets is the development of non-toxic, pet-safe cleaning products. This gives homeowners peace of mind when undergoing professional cleaning or cleaning their own homes. Not to mention that many homeowners, especially those with children, prefer to use non-toxic cleaning products in their homes.
- Pet-safe cleaning products – For home cleaning, you can look for products that specify they are pet-friendly on the label or bottle. Keep in mind that just because a cleaning product says it is ‘natural’ or ‘organic’, does not necessarily mean that it is pet-safe or non-toxic for pets. Many natural substances can still be toxic to pets so always check for pet-specific information on the label.
- Correct product use – It’s important to also know how to use a cleaning product correctly to ensure that your pets stay safe. For example, if a product specifies that you should keep children and pets away from the area until dry, you need to follow these directions for pet safety.
- Pet-safe professional cleaning – When booking professional cleaning, you should ask if your cleaning company uses pet-safe cleaning solutions and techniques or practices that help protect pets.
- Adjusting expectations – Keep in mind that some cleaning products and techniques that are safer for pets may not be as effective as stronger chemicals. This may leave you with a different result than you were hoping for. To balance your expectations and your pets health and safety, ask about all the options available.
Safer Cleaning Techniques
It’s not just the cleaning solutions that have been innovated in relation to pet-safe cleaning. Professional cleaning companies have also developed specific techniques to address pet related home hygiene issues while keeping pet’s safe.
- Pet-safe cleaning techniques – If you need more thorough carpet cleaning with traditional cleaning solutions, don’t despair. Carpet cleaning companies have developed techniques that allow for more deep and thorough carpet cleaning and carpet stain removal, while also minimizing chemical residue. That’s one big reason why it’s best to choose a professional carpet cleaning company for home cleaning rather than trying to do it yourself. With the proper truck mounted, hot rinse carpet cleaning machine, and expert can cleanse and lift traces of cleaning solution from your carpet, and your flooring is left with low chemical residue and no impact on your pets.
- Knowing how to handle pets – professional carpet cleaners are now trained and knowledgeable with dealing with pets and understanding how they need to be treated in the home. Just as you and your family need to vacate the house during professional carpet cleaning, tile cleaning or upholstery cleaning, your pet also needs to be kept safe from the cleaning process, and surfaces should be allowed to fully dry before pets use them again.
Home Cleaning Plans
Not only are the tools and techniques for cleaning houses being innovated to better accommodate companion animals, cleaning companies are also adapting to provide better service to homes with pets.
- Professional cleaning plans – Cleaning plans and packages are available to help households with pets stay on top of keeping the home hygienic and safe. These plans can be annual or semi annually, and provide specially tailored cleaning services to keep homes with pets clean, including carpet cleaning, stain removal, tile and grout cleaning and odor removal. The best aspect of these plans is that they save organizing and remembering on the part of the homeowners. With cleaning already arranged and scheduled, you can keep your home safely clean and pet-safe at all times.
Your Guide To A Safe and Clean Pet Loving Home
So how can you formulate your own plan to not only keep your pet-friendly home clean but to keep your clean home pet-safe?
- Do Your Research – Find out about pet-safe cleaning solutions and pet-friendly cleaning companies. Conduct research about which chemicals in cleaning agents affect your pets, and avoid using these products. Ask your vet for recommendations if in doubt.
- Ask Your Professional Cleaner – It’s a great idea to talk to your professional carpet cleaner or upholstery cleaner about the type of products and techniques they use and the outcome you expect. This can help you understand the process they’ll use, as well as helping them understand your needs and the needs of your pet.
- Start A Cleaning Plan – A cleaning plan from a professional cleaning company helps you save money on keeping your flooring beautiful longer, while also ensuring your home stays clean and healthy for the family. A cleaning plan can be specially developed to target some of the issues affecting households with pets, such as pet hair removal, stain and odor removal, and regular carpet cleaning.
- Pet Accident Cleaning Kit – For homes with pets, preparation is key. It’s more than likely that at some point, your pet will have an accident or create a mess that needs cleaning. Homeowners should be prepared in advance to provide a rapid response that minimizes damage and prevents the accident happening again. Put together a kit with plenty of clean blotting cloth and a pet-friendly carpet and surface cleaner so you can quickly clean up accidents to prevent odors and stains. Promptly and thoroughly cleaning the area of a pet accident is essential to prevent the pet from ‘marking’ the same spot again.
Creating an inviting, healthy home that is pet-safe is a focused recent innovation of the cleaning industry, achieved thanks to pet-safe cleaning products and techniques. Develop your plan for a clean, pet-friendly home with the help of your local professional carpet and floor cleaning company.